Thursday, March 19, 2009

Occupational hazards

There I was, sitting at the piano playing some Brahms yesterday. I stopped playing to discuss something with my teacher, and put my hands in my lap. Following this I attempted to stand up to get something from a nearby table. I hadn't removed my hands from my lap as I rose, and managed very successfully to squeeze my little finger on my left hand between my left leg and the piano. 'S**t, that hurt', I thought. about 5 seconds later I looked at my finger, which had proceeded to swell to twice its size in less time than it has taken to write this sentence. To say it looked alarming would be an understatement. I was felling a little weak-kneed, and my teacher was looking even paler than normal. I got an icepack onto it fairly quickly, and once home took arnica, and put some arnica cream on it. It's still rather tender, but has returned to its normal size, except it's now a fetching shade of reddish purple! I must have dragged it on the edge of the piano as I rose, and I think my wedding ring got in on the action also. It swelled particularly over the joint, so I'm wondering if it was a half-successful attempt at self-dislocation. Shall have to try to be more careful in future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah!!! Poor finger!!! We were just talking about your accident prone childhood today...

12:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. do be careful. Dad's piano teacher finished off his concert career when he broke his finger whilst his hand was dead from being laid on.

I love all your blog. Today is the first chance we have had at seeing it. The internet has been very bad recently.

Love to all

11:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home