Fantastic fish!
During our Norwegian jaunt, I assisted Mrs. VL in making the most wonderful but simple Baked fish. The basic premise was take a whole, gutted fish, fill it with veg (Garlic, onion, pepper, lemon etc.), place it in the oven on a baking dish under tin foil, and enjoy. It's as simple as that.
So we tried it at home, as buying a whole fish (Rainbow trout in this case), is far cheaper than buying fresh fillet (9€/kilo as opposed to 15-18€). The only real difficulty I had was holding on to the thing - I never realised how slippery a fish is when you try to wash it! Assisted by my eldest daughter, the stuffing for our fish consisted of garlic, onions, yellow and red pepper, fresh dill, olive oil and some red wine. (As I couldn't remember the exact recipe...) Dill was liberally place on the top of the fish as well, and any excess stuffing was simply left outside. Placed in a baking dish, and covered with foil. It was in the oven at 200c for about 40 mins. (For an about 800g fish). Served with new potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower it went down a treat. Here's to you, Mrs. VL!
So we tried it at home, as buying a whole fish (Rainbow trout in this case), is far cheaper than buying fresh fillet (9€/kilo as opposed to 15-18€). The only real difficulty I had was holding on to the thing - I never realised how slippery a fish is when you try to wash it! Assisted by my eldest daughter, the stuffing for our fish consisted of garlic, onions, yellow and red pepper, fresh dill, olive oil and some red wine. (As I couldn't remember the exact recipe...) Dill was liberally place on the top of the fish as well, and any excess stuffing was simply left outside. Placed in a baking dish, and covered with foil. It was in the oven at 200c for about 40 mins. (For an about 800g fish). Served with new potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower it went down a treat. Here's to you, Mrs. VL!

1 Comments:
It looks tasty, well done.
It's even more slippery when you catch it yourself. I lost a cod gutting it over the edge of the boat once.
Post a Comment
<< Home