Getting to the root of the problem (part 5)
The next day, inspired by the break through underneath, and the stump looking like a loose tooth that has been worried and worked until, with one good tug, it will come out, we finally made it!
We had to dig a channel wide enough for it to fit through:
And there she goes! VICTORY! My dear eldest daughter , at the tender age of 6½ suggested the use of a first class leaver - ie a big stone near the stump, and a long metal bar with daddies weight on it to shift the thing.
Elvis has left the building!
Out in the daylight, the monster assumed humbler proportions: The white thing is a piece of nylon rope which I used to rock the stump over, and over, and over...
And there she goes! VICTORY! My dear eldest daughter , at the tender age of 6½ suggested the use of a first class leaver - ie a big stone near the stump, and a long metal bar with daddies weight on it to shift the thing.
Elvis has left the building!
Out in the daylight, the monster assumed humbler proportions: The white thing is a piece of nylon rope which I used to rock the stump over, and over, and over...

3 Comments:
Blimey, that was a bit of a job... I'm truly impressed that you managed to get that out. You deserve your whiskey.
I usually leave this kind of problem until the neighbour drives past with his digger!!!
The internet is behaving today so I've not only been able to bring up the text, but see the brilliant pictures too. AND I've been able to open the comment box, which doesn't happen here very often.
So as ever I am writing to say CONGRATULATIONS! What an achievement.
It makes our efforts removing the stump behind the music barn seem really puny!
You'll be very glad to know that i am upright properly today and feel fairly stable, thank goodness. I've lost half a stone in weight and am not able to drive, but otherwise nearly back to normal.
All love to the three girls and looking forward so much to the Norwegian adventure.
Yes, if I'd known what a job it would be, I might have thought twice. But it was fun. There's still two more smaller ones at the side of the house for when I'm bored... I also worked in stints of 2 hours, so I was starting fresh, rather than getting frustrated over a whole day at the thing. Once I found the two large stones, pretty well encased in roots, I knew I had a job. If I have to do it again(!!!!) I'd just dig a bl**dy large hole around it - I started small, and ended up chopping the same roots four or five times!
Post a Comment
<< Home