Sunday, April 13, 2008

Here comes the bride???

So my recital went well - as is customary, the places where I expected to make mistakes, I didn't, and where I've never, ever gone wrong, needless to say, I did. But it was quite reasonable, and all part of the learning curve. The audience, who I never got to see, varied between 8 and 17 for most of the recital. This included two deaf old dears who insisted on asking each other in loud voices what was going on. (If I'd wanted to I could have watched the audience while they listened to me, as right above the console is a monitor for the purpose of seeing when the bride has made it to the Altar/the priest has fallen asleep/the drunk has finally fallen over.... - It was on while I was practising, and was the most incredibly distracting thing. I turned it off in the recital!) As the TuomioKirkko is a popular place for weddings, and it was a Saturday afternoon, there was a wedding at two, the recital at three, and then a wedding at four. So as I let loose on my last piece, a Bach fugue, what happened? The wedding party arrived (at 3.35...), and assuming that the organist was already playing background music (albeit quite loudly!) proceeded to do as wedding parties do the world over, and start an orgy of 'hello, haven't seen you for ages, Bride or Groom, GOOD LORD, look at the state of her dress.' etc. etc. etc. The none-the-wiser recitalist just kept his head down and tried to ignore the noise and door banging right beneath him. I was tempted to pull out the 32 foot pedal reed, which would probably have had the desired effect of making them inaudible, but as the two old dears were still in the place, I didn't want to be responsible for any heart attacks! I suppose this was to be expected, as one of the distractions on the monitor when I was practising in the morning was a man walking up the aisle to within spitting distance of the Altar (it's quite a long aisle) with not one but two dogs, who proceeded to bark, in disapproval of Hovland, which I was foolishly attempting to play at the same time. The fabled story of the verger starting to hoover as soon as you start practising doesn't tend to happen here, as, like most jobs here, there's quite a serious training!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things don't change much, just the small details of the distractions. So well done for keeping going in your recital. its lovely to get the details you don't have time to tell us on the phone. Love to all.

Oh yes. london Son wants to come to Norway and Finland, but can't give more than a week, so he'll not be avaiable for FOA's recital.. One less thing to worry about, but FOA would still like to get you to play violin. He'll explain soon I'm sure.

3:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home