Friday, February 22, 2008

A bit of snow...

Whilst assisting in the tree felling, I realized that my second bike (I decided this winter to use my Father-in-laws 35 year old single gear, back pedal brake only bike, due to the fact that it's not much slower, an awful lot more comfortable, and didn't have a puncture!) was looking a bit the worse for the weather. We normally store our bikes in the garage, but since there wasn't enough space, I'd left this one out the back in the open.


The only reason it's not completely under snow is that it's partly in the shelter of the overhanging roof. There's the best part of a metre of snow, but the temp is hovering around zero, so it melts, freezes and is rather wet at the moment. We haven't had the sub -25 weather that we had last year, sometimes it's been down to -15 in the morning, but that just means another layer of clothes when we cycle in. Still, all that may change rapidly. My apologies for not posting more regularly, life has been on the hectic side, and our computer at home is so bunged up with photos and videos, that it takes about 30 mins to get started, which hasn't helped!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't fancy cycling at +5 degrees, so am full of awe for you hardy lot. Good luck

9:38 pm  
Blogger the other cold one said...

The swedes say that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad preparation (or perhaps bad clothing). It does take a bit of something to get on a bike in the dark in -15, though. But when it's only -5, then it feels positively warm. The trick I have actually learned is to wear one layer less than I think - as on a bike I sweat a lot. So down to about -10 I wear thermal underwear, a thin fleece and windproof jacket, and then thin windproof trousers. Gloves and a hat, and a scarf around my face, and that's it. After about 10 mins the only bit that's cold is my face. When the wind is against you and it's snow and sleet, then it's not fun, but I should buy a open face balaclava, and sport sunglasses to minimise the pain.

10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home