Monday, September 22, 2008

I swear I won't touch another drop...

I realised quite a while back that I've been having trouble getting to sleep, and that at about 10.30 am have been feeling a strong need for coffee every day. This has been compounded by the fact that in the common room in school there is a coffee machine that is treated exactly like the teapot of our parents, ie. always full and about to be poured. I tried for some time to limit myself to a mug a day, but found I was drinking a lot more, and the Finnish preference for coffee so strong that you can stand a spoon up in it meant that I was finding myself in a bit of a vicious circle. So three weeks ago, we both gave up coffee, as my dearest was suffering from the same symptoms. We said we'd give it a try for two weeks, and after only a few days the craving disappeared, and we now sleep much better. We're both going to continue along the no coffee route. The problem is that we now need considerably more sleep, and drink more tea. I understand that tea is still harmful, but not as bad a coffee. I consider it a poor mans methadone programme (BTW, if you're on methadone, you most definitely are not well off!). Lets see what the long term effects are, as I feel that, although I'm sleeping better, my get up and go (in it's un-coffee-fueled state) does not last so long. It probably needs a little stamina building...

3 Comments:

Blogger Viking Longship said...

It's a problem in the family, I have to limit caffine contaning drinks to before lunchtime, overwise I struggle to sleep as well.

All that means, that I drink my full days quota in the morning! means I can sleep though.

Tea and Green tea (contains caffine) hafe teh same effect as coffe for me.

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all know wat terrible things caffiene can do to me...defo a family failing...just as well i hate coffee!!!

6:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't got the family failing at all....... 10 cups of tea at all times of day and night and usually coffee at elevenses suits me very well. It doesn't always suit the bladder though so deep sleep is sometimes interrupted by the need to pay a visit during the wee small hours.

Any way, good luck to toco and the psychiatrist in their attempt to cope without coffee.

Love to all.

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home