Language difficulties
My blog editor has mysteriously decided that, as I have lived here for the best part of two years, it's going to operate in Finnish, not English, so I have exciting commands like 'Julkaiseminen', 'Asetukset' and 'Malli'. Very good for me I'm sure!
I cannot understand where time is going - it's April 21st, meaning that we are nearly 1/3 of the way through 2007 - if you work in whole calender months, 32.3287% if you work in days, and ([(117*24)+17.5]*60)/(365*24*60)=169430/525600=32.2355% if you work in minutes and.....enough, thank you. What happened to Jan., Feb., and March anyway?
I will have a choir to run in September. It's a small group of University students (about 12) singing gospel music, hymns and spirituals, so not something I have directly done before. Still, it will be good experience, and a good chance to put into practise what I'm learning on my conducting courses. It was a case of first come, first served, and being in the right place at the right time. One of the masters students had been running it, advertised in a general e-mail, and I got it, 'cos I was first to reply!. One of the more interesting selection procedures I've taken part in!
The weather hasn't quite made up it's mind which season we're supposed to be in. Monday it was 17c, sunny and we were out in t-shirts. Thursday morning we woke to 8cm of snow, and Friday it was sleeting as I tried to cycle in against the wind. (why is the wind and rain always against you?). Flowers are, against all odds, beginning to be in bloom, and the ice is receding on the lakes. Unfortunately, over 30 people have drowned in Finland this spring falling through the ice, either through ignorance, or due to the fact that the Winter was so short, that they were caught unawares. How many were, sadly, contenders for a Darwin award?
I cannot understand where time is going - it's April 21st, meaning that we are nearly 1/3 of the way through 2007 - if you work in whole calender months, 32.3287% if you work in days, and ([(117*24)+17.5]*60)/(365*24*60)=169430/525600=32.2355% if you work in minutes and.....enough, thank you. What happened to Jan., Feb., and March anyway?
I will have a choir to run in September. It's a small group of University students (about 12) singing gospel music, hymns and spirituals, so not something I have directly done before. Still, it will be good experience, and a good chance to put into practise what I'm learning on my conducting courses. It was a case of first come, first served, and being in the right place at the right time. One of the masters students had been running it, advertised in a general e-mail, and I got it, 'cos I was first to reply!. One of the more interesting selection procedures I've taken part in!
The weather hasn't quite made up it's mind which season we're supposed to be in. Monday it was 17c, sunny and we were out in t-shirts. Thursday morning we woke to 8cm of snow, and Friday it was sleeting as I tried to cycle in against the wind. (why is the wind and rain always against you?). Flowers are, against all odds, beginning to be in bloom, and the ice is receding on the lakes. Unfortunately, over 30 people have drowned in Finland this spring falling through the ice, either through ignorance, or due to the fact that the Winter was so short, that they were caught unawares. How many were, sadly, contenders for a Darwin award?

3 Comments:
I quite agree with you about where does the time go. It only seems like yesterday when we had decided to finish in August and had 10 months to organise moving. Now its only 4 and a half months and we are no closer to being organised. Its great that Our Father is still in demand for playing etc., but it does make other things take a back seat.
Good luck with your new choir in September. Good to know that you are getting lots of different experiences.
Did No 2 have a good birthday.
Having blogger in a different language is a curse, whenever I am away I do something stupid cos I dont understand german, or Italian or wherever I am. Congrats bout the choir.
Bugger, Happy Birthday No. 2, or did my wife remeber it?
Post a Comment
<< Home