Have instrument, will travel
As well as working in Jyväskylä for the summer, I am being asked to play there on Sundays as a cover organist. I cannot do all of those that I asked to do, but when I can i do (It's a 3.5 hour round trip by car, so a 1.5 hour service means a 5 hour session). So I got a call on Wednesday morning asking me to play in Säynätsalo church on maundy Thursday, as the regular organist was sick. I agreed, as I would also be singing on Friday morning in the main church, and am very grateful to my American/Finnish friends M & A for putting me up at short notice. Säynätsalo is an island, and the church is relatively old, on top of the hill among the trees. It is an idyllic place in summer, as our parents know, and even in winter looks like a picture post card. The service was a communion, but instead of stripping the altar at the end, the altar, rail and pulpit are covered in Black cloth. Then 5 red roses are placed on the altar, to symbolise the 5 wounds (hands, feet and side). This was a wonderfully atmospheric service, as the last hymn was sung unaccompanied as the altar was covered, and we then sat in contemplative silence as the only light came from the setting sun outside. I also ended up sing the Trishagion prayers (in Finnish) at short notice, as the priest felt it was too difficult for her. Hope my pronounciation was correct! Tomorrow, by complete contrast, I am singing a Buxtehude cantata, and then on Monday the Agricola mass. Who knows what life will bring next?

1 Comments:
Was this the church where we saw the coffin being locked into a little shed by the grave side? yes indeed we have very happy memories of a wonderful church with a most interesting organ.
so now, it was well worth the effort to train to be a church musician.
Post a Comment
<< Home