Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Monty Python take over Irish bank...

I contacted my 24 hour banking, in order to transfer money from our Irish account to our Finnish one, and to update the billing address, with the conversation following roughly along these lines:

Self: Good afternoon, i'd like to transfer a sum of money to an account in Finland.
Call centre operative: For one off international payments you'll need a code card.
S: A What?
C: You don't have a code card? we've been issuing them to all our online and phone customers in the past months.
(I should mention that we haven't used this account or service for a little while).
S: No, I don't, could you issue me with one.
C: Certainly, It'll be posted to you within the next 7 days.
S: Oh, in that case, can I change my billing address, as I've recently moved?
C: Erm, you'll need the code card for that too.
S: So, in order to change my address and move my money, I'll need a code card, which you're going to send to the wrong address.
C: Erm, yes, well, won't it get forwarded to the right address?
(I decided at this point not to explain that it would actually be redirected twice, as the current address is in Jyväskylä, as we had a short sojurn in our flat before moving to these slightly more spacious premises).
S: Wouldn't it be easier for you to just change my address, to ensure the code card arrives, and I can use it?
C (Now sounding a little nervous): I'm afraid I can't do that if you don't have the code card.
S: But you're going to send it to the wrong address!
C: I'm only following the rules...
S: But the fact that we're having this conversation means that you've established and proved who I am, so therefore it should be possible to change my address for me?
C: You'll need the code card to do that.
S: But I would like to change my address, in order to ensure the code card arrives in safety, so that I can use it, in order to transfer my money. Is there any other way of changing my address?
C: I'm afraid not, sir. The Banks security rules state that you need the code card to do that.
S: Is there any other way of transferring the money?
C: I'm afraid not, sir, the banks...

I'll spare you the rest of the details, but I asked him whether he had noticed if Monty Python had taken over the management, at which point he had the good grace to laugh, in a relieved sort of way. The code card arrived, having been redirected twice a week later (so much for 24 hour banking...) and I breathed a sigh of relief as the money was transfered over the internet, without any operators in between. In contrast, Orange in the UK was a delight to deal with, as I finally cancelled the free SIM card I've had with them for the last 8 years, and Barclay's bank were similarly extremely cooperative. Come on Irish banks, wake up and realise this is the 21st. Century. (Big clue, the name of the bank in question is three capital letters). I suppose the call centre guy was only doing his job, but it's the troops in the front line getting the flak for some dozy upper managers rule book! Anyway, it made for a funny story.

1 Comments:

Blogger Viking Longship said...

Brilliantly Irish...

He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy...

12:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home