Where did all this stuff come from?
When I first left the parental mansion at the tender age of 18, I carried all my wordly belongings across the Irish sea (courtesy of Slatterys never to be forgotten 20 hour trips, squashed in next to a sweaty, drunken lout from the back of beyond: isn't it terrible travelling with relatives....) in a large rucksack. 6 years later, when it happened for real, the parental automobile was pressed into service, resulting in Swansea's finest customs officer asking what I was doing an Irish car, with a British passport, and a long wait while I was checked up on. Then various moves were made around Cardiff using a friends car, and from there to London, and hence to Kilkenny a few years later with a large transit. This London-Kilkenny move was aided and made far more of an adventure by yours truly attempting to first drive a fully laden mini with a broken exhaust of the ferry, and then repeating the same experiment with a Saab with a tendancy to not start at random intervals, and a failing automatic box. Never park on the up ramp on the ferry... (There are some of course who have had to resort to packing the car in the van, hats off for inventiveness eh?). Somehow this mutated into a 28 cubic metre container being filled to the brim (in two hours no less!) on the trip from Ireland to here. Having downsized from a 3 bed semi to a 2 bed flat, we got rid of things wholesale, but as I have just used the bulk of 12 hours yesterday moving our belongings down the road to our new mansion, I wonder where it all came from. I suppose the fact that time is a great accumulator, and we are now moving for four of us does have something to do with it. Still, we have almost moved into our new abode, and will spend this weekend building beds, shelving and generally settling in. I sympathise with the plight of our father and mother, 26 years of accumulation, 5 children, ??? number of cats, dogs, chickens, fish, frogs, tortoises etc. do not bode well for a serious downsize. Still the fresh air will do you good, but can't do much about the neighbours!

2 Comments:
So you've moved in, brilliant.
We took 1 7.5 ton Lorry and a Landrover full to Bergen, and six months later 2 7.5 ton lorries and a 1/2 full landrover to Haugtuft.
I not going to begin to contemplate what it'd be now, but at least now we don't need to load the other car in the lorry anymore...
I'm hoping that toco and vl and ls will remove some of their belongings in the next few weeks...........
Thanks, TOCO for all your advice tonight.
Post a Comment
<< Home