Thursday, March 01, 2007

Our house....

Recent events, namely Kid sis's departure from the family cradle, and the news of our Fathers retirement from the job and the house have lead to the realisation that finally, our family will soon no longer live where it has lived for 23 years (am I right?). I think all of us kiddies can safely say that, if we have an ancestral home, then that is it. Which lead to me lying in bed a couple of nights ago thinking about what aspects of the house will remain in my memory longest. And what came to mind was the doors.

My strongest memories (and I can hear them now, as I type this) are the different sounds that each door in the house made. The front door, with the distinctive key sound and then the scrape as it had to be pushed over the bump in the floor. Also the sound as the bolt fell down for the nth time. What about the sitting room door, and the click, as it opened of its own accord (or else followed by the nose of a dog appearing round the door). What about the ping of the little retaining ball on the toilet door, and the fading sound as the spring vibrated is sympathy? Every door in the house has its own unique sound. Yes, you can call the men in white coats, but that was what first came to mind... I think they'll remain in my memory for a long time yet. Any other suggestions from the floor? I also think of how many people have been through the front door, of all shapes and sizes (probably half the population of Cork), and all made most welcome. What about various incidents involving flying hockey balls, and dripping wet canoes passing through? And testing the dynamo lamp on the bike in the middle of the kitchen, and the subsequent burnout mark as the wheel hit the floor at full speed? Sitting around the kitchen table long after midnight on a friday night with bread, cheese, the contents of the drinks cupboard, and half a choir assembled, in various states of disrepair? Various head- knee- and elbow-shaped dents in the plasterboard? Lighting the fire on christmas day? To say nothing of how much music has been heard by those walls - the sympathetic vibrations will last for an age. Do you think that future occupants will hear the ghostly sound of organs, pianos, choirs, violins, and french horns, late at night when all is quiet? I think it safe to say that we have really lived in our house!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home