Cycling tips
How to use the handbrake: Hang on, there isn't a handbrake on a bicycle! Well yes, but I have discovered the easiest (most exhilarating/likely to fall off/stupid/take your pick) way to get round icy corners in certain situations is to use the back pedal brake, so beloved of Mother-and-father-of-us-all. Just stand on the pedals, lock the rear wheel, let the back come out and drift round the corner. Grinning inanely is optional. No doubt I shall come unstuck sometime, as my studded tyres (yes, on the bike) meet with more than anticipated levels of grip, but there's plenty of snowbanks to aim for, and I'm only advocating this on cyclepaths. Trying it halfway down Barrack street may seem tempting, but no thanks. This post has been prompted by my fitting a new gear cable, and hopefully having 7 gears again, rather than being stuck in 4th the whole way up the damn hill! Oh, yes, and on my wishlist is a full face balaclava, with holes for nostrils and eyes only. This has been seen sported by one of my friends, who cycles in every day for 30 mins, rain, shine, or sub -30 temps. I wondered how he still had a nose and cheeks, but now I know. It's also handy for a spot of bank-raiding. No prizes for guessing the getaway vehicle...

1 Comments:
Ah, yes, I remember the back brake and the panic feeling when one accidentally tried to turn the pedals backwards when adjusting for cornering. Good luck. Please be carefull. Steve ended up with his right wrist in a splint for months following a fall on wet leaves.
Post a Comment
<< Home