Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I got the blues, but it's not what you think

As in I'm learning how to play the blues. Now you might say that what has being able to comp on the piano using the chord sequence I IV V I got to do with church music, which I'm supposedly studying. And the answer is, actually, quite a lot. It's rather strange, but at the same time that I'm learning how to improvise on the organ in the style of Bach et al. and read figured bass, I'm also being strongly encouraged to thump out the bass and fill in the chords on the piano, in strict(ish) 12 bar blues. The role of a church musician here is Varied (yes, with a capital V), and the church musician will be found leading youth music groups, playing along with a gospel choir, and then seated at the organ, playing Bach chorales (and not just during Lent!). So to my mind very relevant. And could it be said that comping to a chord sequence isn't so far removed from figured bass (a la abacus vs. computer, same job, different era, different method). It's also amazingly good fun, and wonderfully creative, at the same time. It's also making me think harmonically, instead of melodically, like most violinists! They take things seriously in this country, as in if you're going to do a job, we'll train you very well for it, then expect you to do it extremely well (and pay high taxes for the free education we've just given you...). So Ah git da bloos, du du du du da du da du, yeah!

2 Comments:

Blogger Viking Longship said...

As Long as the church organist is sitting there swearing at every cock up, it doesn't matter what your playing....

Proper order that!

Been out travelling, did try to comment on your first post, but got irritated with my windows mobile thing...

9:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A similair thing is going on in London, we started our improv last year doing jazz and blues, this year classical style and just graduated to modal,

Improvising in modes is some of the best fun ever, but a word of warning..... it is not just church organists who swear at every cock up.

PS VL, I have free internet onmy new phone too, no problems with mine, you must have a cheaper model

2:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home