Following in the family footsteps:

So I have finally decided to take the plunge. I'm prompted by the Finnish winter finally arriving, coinciding with our move here to Kuopio working well despite a few hitches, so I am permamnently reunited with the family again. On thursday/friday it snowed pretty well continuously for 36 hours (After 3 months of western Irish quality weather - wet, windy and about 0 degrees). The temperature has since dropped to -15, there has been now wind today and the sun is shining. It's really beautiful, and the 40 cms or so of snow is dry and powdery. Went Skiing yesterday, and then skating today. The young violinist (No. 1 of our daughters) skis incredibly well, and skates better all the time (considering a gap of one year). Violin lessons are also going well! We've had to remind ourselves what living in this type of temperature means. Not yet as cold as last Jan/Feb (here I'm going to take a second deep breath and attempt to add a relevant photo, taken 20th Jan 2006 I think - that's why temp gauges here go to -50!!). I will attempt to keep you regularly informed about our happy life up here, and my attempts at coping with the Finnish language and culture, as well as my studies here. Expect more very soon.

1 Comments:
THE VERY FIRST COMMENT ON YOUR BLOG.
Right. So now I have yet another distraction from doing the washing up, housework, letter writing, arranging East Cork stuff etc.......
I wish the 'life in a northern land' blogspot all the success in the world and I look forward to many happy browsings.
Perhaps we should set one up too and keep you in touch with all developments at Beeston and Barchester Towers. What's happening at the Cathedral is worse than Anthony Trollope.
Any way. Question? Did you know that your Father is an old romantic? I was given breakfast in bed on Saturday (being the 20th January). This also involved bringing my old radio into the bedroom and the listening to 'Some enchanted evening' from the original soundtrack of South Pacific. Why? I asked. Because it is 40 years to the day that our eyes first met across a crowded bar. (In the Paviours Arms, by Westminster Hosptial, after the hospital choir practise.) Was the answer. Wasn't that just so sweet.
So I have celebrated 60 years on this earth and 40 years of knowing Daddy. Now its back to earth and get on with things.
I also take this opportunity, because I'm too busy looking at the blogs to write letters, to thank you again for my lovely card and the oh so generous voucher for my new shoethings. I've a lovely feeling of being made a fuss of. Thank you so much.
Post a Comment
<< Home