Seated one day at the organ
I am a firm believer in the fact that hard work, sprinkled liberally with patience and consistency, will eventually pay off. Today I spent an hour practising hymns, and finally managed to sight-read all four staves at once, with the bass in the pedal, tenor in the left, and sop/alto in the right. I've been working at this for a year!!! Hoorah! It may not seem much, when you consider the art of our father, but it's quite an important skill for the job prospects. My pedalling technique is becoming much smoother, and so I'm finding more time, and not having to look down. Do organists suffer from vertigo? I'm also having my lessons in a local church, which, without any sense of irony, is a concrete box, 70's style. This gives it a nice acoustic, and it makes a huge difference to the touch and feel you have to use. The organ is 3 manuals, tracker action, but with electric stop mechanisms, by the same maker as the main church in Jyväskylä. Now I just need to master singing, transposition, trio style, improvisation, and answering the mobile phone, all at the same time. If you want to laugh a lot (I did): try complaining, Finnish style; you can also hear the joys of the Finnish language at the same time, and some nice views of Helsinki. (You'll also understand the mobile phone comment).

1 Comments:
After a long wait we managed to download the Helsinki Complaints choir. Very good entertainment.
Also congrats on the managing to play all four parts of a hymn tune. I've always wondered how Our Father could do it. He makes it all seem so easy. Pity he didn't teach you when you were little!
Love to our youngest Granddaughter. Hope she'll be better soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home